Sample Sidebar Module

This is a sample module published to the sidebar_top position, using the -sidebar module class suffix. There is also a sidebar_bottom position below the menu.

Sample Sidebar Module

This is a sample module published to the sidebar_bottom position, using the -sidebar module class suffix. There is also a sidebar_top position below the search.
Meeting Minutes 2015
SEARCH

HWEA EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE MEETING

Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 11:30 AM – 1:30 PM
Sand Island Treatment Center – Conference Room

ATTENDANCE:  
Board of Directors  
Emily Dong President
Staci Taniguchi (on phone) Vice-President
Audrey Haerle Secretary-Treasurer
Shannon Holman Past President
Lance Manabe Delegate
Wayne Salas PWO Representative
   
Committee – Representatives  
Greg Arakaki Biosolids/Co-Generation Committee Co-Chairperson
Scott McAdam Conference Committee Co-Chairperson 2015/16 Safety Co-Chairperson
Puna Kaneakua (on phone) Conference Committee Co-Chairperson 2016
Audrey Haerle Public Education Co-Chairperson,
  Rebrand Co-Chairperson
Jay Stone Water Quality Co-Chairperson
   
NOT ABLE TO ATTEND:  
Jon Baker PWO Vice Representative
Pat Markham PWO Committee
John Katahira Ad-Hoc Committee
Roy Abe Ad-Hoc Committee
Wayne White Biosolids/Co-Generation Committee Co-Chairperson
June Nakamura Board Advisory/Constitution & Bylaws Co-Chairperson
Lee Mansfield, Board Advisory/Constitution & Bylaws Co-Chairperson
Kristie Ching Board Advisory/Constitution & Bylaws Co-Chairperson
Jon Nishimura Collection Committee Chairperson
Tina Ono Collection Committee Chairperson
Leland Lee Communications Vice-Chairperson
Mark Goodrowe Communications Chairperson
Lori Kahikina Conference Committee Co-Chairperson 2015
Tim Steinberger Government Affairs Chairperson
Walter Billingsley Government Affairs Vice-Chairperson
Merlita Alimagno Laboratory Co-Chairperson
Layne Otomo Laboratory Co-Chairperson
Joni Tanimoto Membership Chairperson
Edie Alipio Pretreatment/On-Site Treatment Chairperson
Quintin Beltran Pretreatment/On-Site Treatment Co-Chairperson
Dorreann Kaehuaea Pretreatment/On-Site Treatment Committee
Lori Morikami Public Education Co-Chairperson
Jason Nakata Rebrand Co-Chairperson
Jack Tano Registration Committee Rebrand Co-Chairperson
Carol Zuerndorfer Registration Committee
Trudy Hamic Registration Committee
Roger Babcock, Jr. Research Chairperson
Carly Kaneko Safety Co-Chairperson
Mindy Yoneshige Student Affairs Co-Chairperson
Keith Miyashiro Student Affairs Co-Chairperson
Brad Takenaka Water Quality Co-Chairperson
Eassie Miller Water Reuse Co-Chairperson
Elson Gushiken Water Reuse Co-Chairperson
Susan Mukai Young Professional Co-Chairperson
Alyssa Smith Young Professional Co-Chairperson
Jessica Agsalda Young Professionals Co-Chair

 

 

PRESIDING: Emily Dong
RECORDER: Audrey Haerle

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Call to Order

  • The meeting was called to order at 11:50 am.

Approval of May Meeting Minutes

  • Only comments received were from Staci and Greg.
    • Shannon moved to approve the March meeting minutes as amended. Lance seconded the motion. The motion passed.

Committee Reports

 

  1. Board Advisory/Constitution & Bylaws Committee – Lee Mansfield, Kristie Ching & June Nakamura
    • Unable to attend. No report.

B.Board of Certification of Operating Personnel in Wastewater Treatment Facilities – Kevin Nakamura

  • Unable to attend. No report.

C.Biosolids/Co-Generation Committee – Greg Arakaki & Wayne White

  • See Water Quality report

D.Collection Systems Committee – Jon Nishimura/Tina Ono

  • Unable to attend.
  • Emily: Conference in December.

E.Communications committee – Mark Goodrowe & Leland Lee

  • Unable to attend. No report.

F.Conference Committee 2015 – Lori Kahikina & Scott McAdam

  • Have not paid out AWWA yet.
  • One more bill to pay, Scott will move it to 2016 expense and send final spreadsheet to Board.
  • Audrey will change next agenda to 2016
  • 2016 Conference Feb 2-4 at Hawaii Convention Center, Golf Tourney is on Friday Feb 5th at Hawaii Prince, this year community service on the following Saturday (Feb 6th).
  • No conference themes submitted yet

G.Government Affairs Committee – Tim Steinberger & Walter Billingsley

  • Unable to attend. No report.

H.Laboratory Committee – Merlita Alimagno & Layne Otomo

  • Unable to attend. No report.
  • Emily will follow up with Merlita.

I.Membership Committee – Joni Tanimoto

  • Unable to attend.
  • Emily to meet with Joni this month.

J.Pretreatment Committee – Quintin Beltran & Edie Alipio

  • Unable to attend. No report.

K.Public Education Committee – Lori Morikami & Audrey Haerle

  • No report

L.Research Committee - Roger Babcock, Jr.

  • Unable to attend. No Report.

M.Safety Committee – Scott McAdam &Carly Kaneko

  • Looking into events.

N.Student Affairs Committee – Mindy Yoneshige/Keith Miyashiro

  • Unable to attend. No Report.

O.Water Reuse Committee – Eassie Miller & Elson Gushiken

  • Unable to attend. No report.

P. Water Quality Committee – Jay Stone & Brad Takenaka

  • Workshop went well, more crowded than expected.
  • Need payment adjustment from CCH. Some from the stormwater division signed up as non-members but Julie thinks that they are members. Brad and Audrey to follow-up.
  • Will likely do another workshop, committee will discuss.

Q.Young Professionals Committee – Susan Mukai, Alyssa Smith & Jessica Agsalda

  • Unable to attend. No report.
  • Upcoming community service events:
  1. June 20th Vegetated fire break with Waianae Mountains Watershed Partnership.
  2. June 27th Beach clean-up at Magic Island with AWWA/ASCE & Sustainable Coastlines.

Board of Directors Items

Secretary/Treasurer's Report: Audrey Haerle  
Account Balances as of 6/16/2015  
ML Conference Checking $298,613.99
Bank of Hawaii $2,041.25
Petty Cash $50.00
CD Investments $100,000.00
Total Assets $400,705.24
Total Income $40,464.56
Total Expenses $43,076.64
Rolling Balance ($2,612.08)
  • Shannon is giving documents from Merrill Lynch to transfer authorized signatories, should remove Greg and add Audrey and Puna.
  • Shannon asked if we are okay with vendor refund fee? We lost ~$300 Vendor called to jury duty. Emily suggested giving a discount for next year. Scott and Jay are not sure what he paid, they agree to give $425 refund. Shannon to forward his email to Scott.

·President Report: Emily Dong

  • New website is now live, along with mobile app and Instagram account.
  • Will announce it at quarterly luncheon so Board has some time to review and comment.
  • Some pages are still under construction.
  • Submit photos feature, new mailing list. Emily will transfer old mailing list over.
  • Please submit a new profile photo if you would like it updated.
  • Scott commented that mobile site is formatted well.
  • Operators Study Session Program
    • Started first week of June, Saturday mornings for 2-3 hours.
    • 6 people came to first session, 11 ppl at second.
    • Teaching math
    • Father and son came to check out session because son is interested in becoming an operator.

·Vice-President Report: Staci Taniguchi

  • Quarterly luncheon will be in June.
  • Deadline is June 17th, 34 RSVPs.
  • Some will pay at door.
  • Staci will bring lei for speaker and gift cards for raffle.
  • She reserved the projector and screen, she will confirm if they will charge.
  • Raffle can be done electronically on Emily’s phone, Staci to send Emily list of attendees.
  • Emily will announce website, committee chairs can give updates.
  • Contacted Jeff Pearson from AWWA to do joint luncheon, they prefer to do it in September or October.
  • Staci will give Audrey checks all at once after she has reconciled them.

·Federation Matters: Delegate, Lance Manabe

  • Provided summary report.
  • Lance will provide PDF to Emily so it can be added to Meeting Minutes.
  • Lance will provide Emily Word doc so photos can be extracted for the website.

·PWO Matters: Wayne Salas

  • Wayne has returned and met with Jon to catch up.
  • They need to contact Merlita to get more info about lab event.
  • Operators were not aware that they need to front costs and then will be reimbursed.
  • Last year Wayne set up hotel and Jessie arranged for flights.
  • Wayne to inquire with Pacific Pumps about pump rental, if it is too expensive, they may have to drop the event.
  • Kevin Nakamura’s term with BOC is done this month, he is moving to DOH.
  • Wayne stressed that the BOC needs to have someone with operating experience.
  • Taking inventory of equipment, need to look in pump rental.
  • Next Plant Tour: Hawaii Kai WWTP (Hawaii American Water), Saturday, June 27th 9 am – 12 pm.
  • 25 ppl max.
  • Emphasis at this plant is chlorine system.
  • Aiming to do one private then public tour.
  • Last tour at Wahiawa provided CEUs.

·Past President: Shannon Holman

  • Met with June Nakamura, waiting on response from leadership workshop, possibly Nov or early Dec. June should know by July.
  • Looking for mentors for the workshop.
  • Coordinating with Bonnie from ML to add Audrey and Puna to ML Conference Checking account.

Old Business

  • None.

New/Miscellaneous Business

  • None.

Internet Inquiries

  • None.

Next Meeting:

Thursday, July 23rd  at 11:30 am, pending Staci’s schedule

Up-Coming Events:

  • June 20th Vegetated fire break with Waianae Mountains Watershed Partnership.
  • June 27th Beach clean-up at Magic Island
  • June 27th Hawaii Kai WWTP Tour
  • July 1st Quarterly Luncheon
  • December 4, 2015 Collections Systems Conference (call for papers)

Up-Coming Webcasts

Specification Standard Guidelines for CIPP, Manholes, and More
2015-06-17

Evaluation of Strategies to Manage Trace Organic Compounds in Water   2015-06-24

Advances in Water Quality Trading as a Flexible Compliance Tool
 2015-07-08

Meeting adjourned at 12:45 PM.

 

Audrey

 

VISIT OUR PHOTO
GALLERY


SHOW ME

Contact Info

Hawai‘i Water Environment Association
PO Box 2422
Honolulu, Hawai‘i 96804
General Inquiries: info@hwea.org