HWEA EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE MEETING
Monday, April 18, 2016 11:30 AM – 1:30 PM
Sand Island Treatment Plant – Conference Room
|Board of Directors|
|Jon Baker||PWO Representative|
|Committee – Representatives|
|Scott McAdam||Conference Co-Chair 2016|
|Audrey Haerle||Public Education Co-Chair|
|Jessica Agsalda||Young Professional Co-Chair|
|Mark Ohigashi||Young Professional Co-Chair|
|Martin Roush (on phone)||Water Reuse Co-Chair|
|Lori Morikami||Public Education Co-Chair|
|Jack Tano||Pretreatment/On-Site Treatment Co-Chair|
|Melissa Carmichael||Biosolids/Co-Generation Co-Chair|
|Brad Takenaka||Water Quality Co-Chair|
|Roy Abe||Ad Hoc Water Quality Standards Co-Chair|
|PRESIDING: Staci Taniguchi|
|RECORDER: Roger Babcock|
Call to Order
- The meeting was called to order at 11:45 am by S Taniguchi.
Approval of March Meeting Minutes
- The minutes of the March 21, 2016 meeting were approved with minor edits.
A. Board Advisory/Constitution & Bylaws (Lee Mansfield/Kristie Ching/June Nakamura): no report. Staci will check with the co-chairs to see if they are still interested
B. Board of Certification of Operating Personnel in Wastewater Treatment Facilities
- Eassie Miller was appointed in March. DOH Wastewater Branch head Sina Pruder indicated that Miller needs to fill out the application on-line and then it can be submitted for the next legislative term. The appointment is by the Governor and the confirmation is by the State Senate. The term could start in July 2017, and the position will remain vacant until then.
C. Biosolids/Co-Generation Committee (Greg Arakaki/Melissa Carmichael)
- Carmichael is the new co-chair
D. Collection Systems (Jon Nishimura/Tina Ono): next conference is in 2017
E. Communications (Mark Goodrowe/Leland Lee):Collection Systems Conference presentation slides will be put on the website
F. Conference Committee 2016 (Scott McAdam/Puna Kaneakua):
- 2016 conference final financial results not available – waiting for info from AWWA • 2017 conference will be Feb 14-16 at the Hawaii Convention Center
G. Government Affairs (Tim Steinberger/Walter Billingsley): no report
H. Laboratory (No chairs): no report
I. Membership (Joni Tanimoto):
- Only Joni can access WEF membership database now – Audrey will inquire how more EC members can get access
- About 30 people asked at the 2016 conference about joining HWEA – Tano will give the list to Joni
- There used to be a welcome letter and information packet for new members – Joni is asked to restart this
J. Pretreatment (Doreann Kaehuaea/Jack Tano):
- Tano is the new co-chair
- The City made a PSA about non-flushable wipes – a link will be added to the website |
K. Public Education (Lori Morikami/Audrey Haerle):
- Mauka to Makai Expo at Waikiki Aquarium, April 23, 9am – 2pm, will have two shifts.
L. Research (Roger Babcock):
- Will to talk to Chad Morrow who may be interested to chair
M. Safety (Scott McAdam/Carly Kaneko): no report
N. Student Affairs (Mindy Yoneshige/Keith Miyashiro):
- Checks were awarded to three students for the SJWP
O. Water Quality (Jay Stone/Brad Takenaka):
- Next storm water conference/workshop will be in 2017
- Roy Abe serves on the State’s Environmental Council (EC). He described the functions and indicated that the many environmental groups on the EC are not familiar with HWEA which could play a role as an unbiased industry expert group. Roy has requested that HWEA co-sponsor (with EC) a forum on water quality issues. The budget is $5,000. This will be included in the 2016 budget. The target date is September.
P. Water Reuse (Martin Roush/Lorna Heller): the new AWWA co-chair is Heller
Q. Young Professionals (Jessica Agsalda/Mark Ohigashi):
- Tour Mari’s Garden Aquaponics (Mililani) – Sat May 21 AM tentative
Board of Directors Reports
Secretary/Treasurer's Report: Roger Babcock
Account Balances as of 4/16/2016
|ML Regular Checking|
|ML Conference Checking||$ 348,179.44|
|Bank of Hawaii||$ 7,181.17|
|Petty Cash||$ 50.00|
|CD Investments||$ 100,000.00|
- Taryn will transition Susan Lambert of AECOM into HWEA as bookkeeper.
- Babcock to talk to Taryn/Susan to get on-line view-only access to Quickbooks
- Babcock attended WEFMAX in Philadelphia on April 6-7-8. Learned lots of things met many folks from PA, NJ, NY etc. Learned that Stormwater is an area of major growth for WEF
- President Report: Staci Taniguchi
- 2016-2017 Budget – the budget will be approved by email on April 22.
- Board member committee liaison assignments will be made
- The Ad Hoc Committee for Water Quality Standards has merged into the Water Quality Committee.
- Vice-President Report: Audrey Haerle
- Still working with the Maui members who want to form a group. Because of tax implications they will be a section under the HWEA constitution.
- The joint dinner meeting with AWWA and ASCE will be on June 2 at Dave & Busters.
- Submitted a nomination for HWEA Public Education Committee for a Public Education award from WEF.
- Federation Matters: Delegate, Lance Manabe
- Nominated to be on the WEF Executive Committee as a Delegate-at-Large.
- Sheryl Nojima has agreed to be the next HWEA delegate, Oct 2016 – Sept 2019
- PWO Matters: Jon Baker
- Setting up quarterly excursions for PWO to Honouliuli WWTP
- The ops team is practicing for WEFTEC
- Past President: Emily Dong
- No report
- HWEA will create a new Stormwater Committee. Spencer Yim will be a co-chair. Manabe will create a budget.
- May 16th 11:30am
Meeting adjourned at 1:22 PM.