Sample Sidebar Module

This is a sample module published to the sidebar_top position, using the -sidebar module class suffix. There is also a sidebar_bottom position below the menu.

Sample Sidebar Module

This is a sample module published to the sidebar_bottom position, using the -sidebar module class suffix. There is also a sidebar_top position below the search.
Meeting Minutes 2016
SEARCH

HWEA EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE MEETING

Monday, June 20, 2016 11:30 AM – 1:00 PM
Sand Island Treatment Plant – Conference Room

ATTENDANCE:  
Board of Directors  
Staci Taniguchi President
Audrey Haerle Vice-President
Roger Babcock Secretary-Treasurer
Emily Dong Past President
Jon Baker PWO Representative
Lance Manabe National Delegate
   
Committee – Representatives  
Scott McAdam Conference Co-Chair 2016 Safety Co-Chair
Audrey Haerle Public Education Co-Chair
Martin Roush Water Reuse Co-Chair
Lori Morikami Public Education Co-Chair 
Melissa Carmichael Biosolids/Co-Generation Co-Chair 
Jay Stone (on phone) Stormwater Co-Chair
Tim Steinberger Government Relations Co-Chair
Brad Takenaka Stormwater Co-Chair
Roger Babcock Research Co-Chair
Eassie Miller (on phone) Board of Certification member 
Jessica Agsalda Young Professional Co-Chair

 

 

PRESIDING: Staci Taniguchi
RECORDER: Roger Babcock

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 Call to Order

  • The meeting was called to order at 11:45 am by S Taniguchi.

Approval of May Meeting Minutes

  • The minutes of the May 16, 2016 meeting were approved. Committee Reports

A. Board Advisory/Constitution & Bylaws (Lee Mansfield/Kristie Ching/June Nakamura): no report

B. Board of Certification of Operating Personnel in Wastewater Treatment Facilities

  • Eassie Miller is working on the application to be appointed to the board.

C. Biosolids/Co-Generation Committee (Greg Arakaki/Melissa Carmichael)

  • A tour of Synagro is being planned for the fourth quarter of 2016.

D. Collection Systems (Jon Nishimura/Tina Ono): no report

 

E. Communications (Mark Goodrowe/Leland Lee): Charges for job listings on the webpage will be $25. The committee will decide if this is a one-time fee and if not what the duration of the listing will be. The cost/duration information will be added to the page.

F. Conference Committee 2016 (Scott McAdam/Puna Kaneakua):

  • Next meeting is on June 30th at Belt Collins
  • MOU with AWWA has not been drafted/signed yet
  • Openings for the committee include: HWEA Conf co-Chair; Golf Tourney co- Chair; Exhibits co-Chair; Community Service project chair (possibly Alicia Nakano – Audrey is willing to help)

G. Government Affairs (Tim Steinberger/Walter Billingsley):

  • The HWEA letter not supporting HB 2030 was sent to Governor Ige who has until June 27 to take action. Staci will email to everyone two articles regarding this bill that appeared in the Star Bulletin recently.

H. Laboratory (No chairs): no report. Board members were asked to suggest potential chairs. The duties include helping with the laboratory portion of the Operations Challenge event.

I. Membership (Joni Tanimoto):

  • Roger and Audrey can now access the WEF membership database (in addition to Joni)

J. Pretreatment (Doreann Kaehuaea/Jack Tano): no report

K. Public Education (Lori Morikami/Audrey Haerle):

  • HWEA had a booth at the North Shore Ocean Fest at Turtle Bay Resort – this was a good event and we plan to attend next year.
  • The Sand Island WWTP tour was cancelled
  • There is a CCH Train-the-Trainer Workshop on Saturday June 25 for the Adopt- A-Block and Adopt-A-Stream programs at Kalihi District Park from 8am-noon.

L. Research (Roger Babcock/Chad Morrow): no report

M. Safety (Scott McAdam/Carly Kaneko):

  • Working with Safety Systems to try and put together a Confined Space training program

N. Student Affairs (Mindy Yoneshige/Keith Miyashiro): no report

O. Stormwater (Jay Stone/Brad Takenaka:

  • The committee is requesting to become part of the Pacific Water Conference next year (separate track and a pre-conference workshop). Have not heard back from AWWA yet. This would allow training and certification efforts.

P. Water Reuse (Martin Roush/Lorna Heller): Dates are December 1-2, 2016 in Kauai. The deposit check for the hotel for $1,000 was not received by Roush and a new check will be issued and sent. The committee is working on the theme and possible speakers. 

Q.    Young Professionals (Jessica Agsalda/Mark Ohigashi):

  • Mari’s Garden Aquaponics tour (Mililani) was Sat May 21 and was a success. HWEA will reimburse $30 for member subsidies
  • A community service event is being planned for July by Alicia Nakano
  • A tour of Tileco which sells CMU blocks and erosion control mats is being planned by YP and the YMF (ASCE)

Board of Directors Reports

 Secretary/Treasurer's Report: Roger Babcock  
 Account Balances as of 6/20/2016  
   
ML Conference Checking $325,898.46
Bank of Hawaii $9,133.20
Petty Cash $50.00
CD Investments $100,000.00
TOTAL: 435,081.66
   
Total Income $49,491.76
Total Expenses $68,906.04
Rolling Balance ($19,414.28)
  • There was a large expense (50,905.55) listed as conference registration – Roger will work with Taryn to create a new category for “payment to AWWA for conference”
  • Roger will work with Taryn to determine where the Reuse Conference hotel reservation fee check for $1,000 went and if it was cashed. Taryn will issue a new check and send it to Martin Roush.

·President Report: Staci Taniguchi

  • Conference Committee openings – see above
  • AWWA conference MOU needed – working with Mike Street of AWWA.

·Vice-President Report: Audrey Haerle

  • The joint dinner meeting with AWWA and ASCE on June 2 at Dave & Busters was a success – there were about 40 attendees.
  • Next Quarterly luncheon – target date is early September at Hale Ikena possibly a joint meeting with CMAA.
  • HWEA website job postings – see above
  • HWEA mass email options – researching this issue
  • Maui Committee structure – Eassie Miller and Robin Knox are drafting the papers
  • Federation Matters: Delegate, Lance Manabe: Written report is attached. Transition to new Delegate Sheryl Nojima will be in October.

·PWO Matters: Jon Baker

  • The ops team is practicing for WEFTEC

·Past President: Emily Dong

  • Approximately three new 3-4hr training sessions are being planned for Saturday mornings starting in mid-July. They will be worth about 0.2 CEUs each.

Old Business

  • None

New/Miscellaneous Business

  • Lance suggested that HWEA create a database of all CEU certificates issued at conferences (Pacific Water, Collection Systems, Stormwater, Water Reuse, etc) as a back-up for hard copies mailed to operators. It will require a volunteer coordinator/manager.

Next Meeting:

  • July 18th 11:30am Meeting adjourned at 1:00 PM

Meeting adjourned at 1:00PM

 

ROGER2

 

 

VISIT OUR PHOTO
GALLERY


SHOW ME

Contact Info

Hawai‘i Water Environment Association
PO Box 2422
Honolulu, Hawai‘i 96804
General Inquiries: info@hwea.org