HWEA EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE MEETING
Monday, August 15, 2016 11:30 AM – 1:00 PM
Sand Island Treatment Plant – Conference Room
|Board of Directors|
|Jon Baker||PWO Representative|
|Lance Manabe||National Delegate|
|Committee – Representatives|
|Scott McAdam||Conference Co-Chair 2016 Safety Co-Chair|
|Audrey Haerle||Public Education Co-Chair|
|Martin Roush (on phone)||Water Reuse Co-Chair|
|Brad Takenaka||Stormwater Co-Chair|
|Roger Babcock||Research Co-Chair|
|Melissa Carmichael||Biosolids Co-Chair|
|Greg Arakaki||Biosolids Co-Chair|
Call to Order
- The meeting was called to order at 11:42 am by S Taniguchi.
Approval of July Meeting Minutes
- The minutes of the July 18, 2016 meeting were approved.
A. Board Advisory/Constitution & Bylaws (Lee Mansfield/Kristie Ching/June Nakamura): no report
B. Board of Certification (Eassie Miller): no report
C. Biosolids/Co-Generation Committee (Greg Arakaki/Melissa Carmichael)
- Looking to do a tour of Sand Island digester in November/December
- Considering a tour of Laie composting facility
D. Collection Systems (Jon Nishimura/Tina Ono): no report
E. Communications (Mark Goodrowe/Leland Lee/Kapiolani Street):
- Will be meeting with web designer. Need a new email service – considering Mailchimp and Constant Contact (cost about $40-50/mo)
F. Conference Committee 2016 (Puna Kaneakua/Emily Dong):
- MOU with AWWA draft was discussed and modifications suggested for approval by AWWA.
- Working on the budget.
- Call for abstracts came out on August 5th
G. Government Affairs (Tim Steinberger/Walter Billingsley): Staci will contact the chairs that Phil Potter from Kennedy/Jenks is interested to help on this committee.
H. Laboratory (No chairs): Jon is talking to the lab technician at Kailua WWTP about joining
I. Membership (Joni Tanimoto):
- Will get an updated email list from WEF
J. Pretreatment (Doreann Kaehuaea/Jack Tano): • No report
K. Public Education (Lori Morikami/Audrey Haerle):
- Several Hawaii folks will attend the WEFTEC 2016 awards ceremony to accept the award with Audrey in New Orleans.
- PWC service project working ideas include building a “stealth” rain garden at Kalihi Valley Park, storm drain stenciling, and a stream clean-up.
- WEF is promoting a nation-wide event called “A Day Without Water” on Sept 15th and suggesting that MAs do something. Considering a treatment plant tour for the public.
L. Research (Roger Babcock/Chad Morrow): no report
M. Safety (Scott McAdam/Carly Kaneko): no report
N. Student Affairs (Mindy Yoneshige/Keith Miyashiro): no report
O. Stormwater (Jay Stone/Brad Takenaka):
- The committee has decided not become a part of the Pacific Water Conference (PWC) next year (separate track and a pre-conference workshop).
- Will plan for a one-day workshop in 2017 probably joint with Biosolids again.
- Phil Potter will be helping with this committee
P. Water Reuse (Martin Roush/Lorna Heller): Dates are December 1-2, 2016 in Kauai. Tom Venus is helping this committee. Now working on possible speakers. Exhibits will be in a small area, only a hallway at the hotel.
Q. Young Professionals (Jessica Agsalda/Mark Ohigashi):
- Aug 20, 8:30am, Mokauea Island, invasive species clearing
Board of Directors Reports
|Secretary/Treasurer's Report: Roger Babcock|
|Account Balances as of 7/31/2016|
|ML Conference Checking||$316,636.31|
|Bank of Hawaii||$4,518.30|
- Roger will work with Taryn to create a new category for “payment to AWWA for conference”
- Roger will ask Taryn if she wants to continue as HWEA bookkeeper
·President Report: Staci Taniguchi
- AWWA conference MOU – draft from AWWA will be updated with changes discussed at meeting, when OK by AWWA then officers will sign it
- WEF has indicated that national membership dues will increase in 2017 (from $133 to $140 for individual). The WEF letter/explanation will be posted on the HWEA website. A future mass email will also include this letter. Email will go out after a new email system is implemented.
·Vice-President Report: Audrey Haerle
- Quarterly luncheon – October 5 at Hale Ikena and will be a joint meeting with CMAA, cost will be $25/member, investigating a speaker possibly on stormwater permits/BMPs/inspections or asset management
·Federation Matters: Delegate, Lance Manabe:
- Lance has been selected as At-Large Delegate which will start at WEFTEC 2016, he will no longer be the Hawaii Delegate. Term is 2016 - 2019
- New Hawaii delegate Sheryl Nojima will start in October at WEFTEC 2016. Term is 2016-2019
·PWO Matters: Jon Baker
- The HWEA budget for WEFTEC for PWO includes travel/registration/lodging for four Operations Challenge team members plus a PWO rep. The Operations Challenge team will send a back-up team member (5th person) and PWO has done fundraising to pay the expenses for the fifth member.
·Past President: Emily Dong
- No report
- September 19th 11:30am
Meeting adjourned at 1:25 PM