Sample Sidebar Module

This is a sample module published to the sidebar_top position, using the -sidebar module class suffix. There is also a sidebar_bottom position below the menu.

Sample Sidebar Module

This is a sample module published to the sidebar_bottom position, using the -sidebar module class suffix. There is also a sidebar_top position below the search.
Meeting Minutes 2017
SEARCH

HWEA EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE MEETING

Thursday, March 23, 2017 11:30 AM – 1:00 PM
Sand Island Treatment Plant – Conference Room

ATTENDANCE:  
Board of Directors  
Audrey Haerle President
Roger Babcock Vice-President
Puna Kaneakua Secretary-Treasurer
Staci Taniguchi Past President Herman 
Ellis for Jon Baker PWO Representative
 Sheryl Nojima National Delegate
Committee – Representatives  
Audrey Haerle Public Education Co-Chair
Lori Morikami Public Education Co-Chair
Roger Babcock Research Co-Chair
Greg Arakaki Biosolids Co-Chair
Lance Manabe At-Large National Delegate
Jayson Tasaka Student Affairs Co-Chair
Brad Takenaka Storm Water Co-Chair 
Shantelle Clarke (on phone) Laboratory
Phil Potter Government Affairs
June Nakamura Board Advisory/Constitution & Bylaws

 

 

PRESIDING: Audrey Haerle 
RECORDER:  Puna Kaneakua

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Call to Order

  • The meeting was called to order at 11:43 am by A. Haerle.

Approval of October Meeting Minutes

  • The minutes of the February 16, 2017 meeting were approved unanimously as amended.

Committee Reports

 A. Board Advisory/Constitution & Bylaws (June Nakamura): WEF bylaws and HWEA bylaws are received and dated 2014. Committee is requesting a listing of desired changes. Treasurer role to be revised to be more involved with PWC financials. Committee to formulate draft changes and provide update during the summer. Board members need to provide changes to June N. one week prior April meeting. Staci T. will co-chair with June N. B. Board of Certification (Eassie Miller): Roger

B. to follow-up with Eassie M. about involvement with the Board.

C. Biosolids/Co-Generation Committee (Greg Arakaki/Melissa Carmichael)

  • Joint workshop with Stormwater and Safety in May 26 – Manoa Grand Ballroom, Stormwater-13 speakers, Biosolids-8 speakers. Looking for one more speaker for Biosolids. 
  • Conference call held on 21st regarding new publications, should be posted to HWEA website.

D. Collection Systems (Jon Nishimura/Tina Ono): 

  • Conference will be November 29, 2017 at Manoa Grand Ballroom. 
  • Call for papers is ready for distribution, Lance M. to send to Audrey H. for posting to website. 
  • Similar to Stormwater/Safety Workshop, Collection Systems Conference will waive registration fees for speakers 

E. Communications (Mark Goodrowe/Leland Lee/Kapiolani Street):

  • Officer emails should be updated
  • Officer headshots should be up, members should check to be sure they approve of headshot.

F. Conference Committee 2018 (Feb 6-8, Puna Kaneakua/Emily Dong):

  • Date is set for 2018 conference, it will be the first week of February 2018
  • Golf tournament will be held at Kapolei Golf Course. 
  • Possibility of hosting a PWC sponsored dinner at WEFTEC. June N. to get listing of Hawaii attendees from past conference. 
  • PWC Officer Dinner, is there a possibility to split the dinner as a separate HWEA dinner. Include in the MOU for 2018 conference. Motion by Roger B., Lance M. second, unanimously accepted. Audrey H. to inform PWC committee about splitting the dinners. Each organization to fund their respective visiting officer reception. 
  • PWC committee to talk to Kapolei Golf Course about serving alcoholic beverages on the course. 
  • PWC committee to discuss MOU.

G. Government Affairs (Tim Steinberger/Phil Potter):

  • From middle of February, tracking 28 senate bills and 40 house bills. • These bills will be tracked within the committee at this point. 
  • Presently no active legislation that is pressing. 
  • Inquiry from Aqua Engineers asking for list of bills that are being tracking. Committee to provide the list.

H. Laboratory (Shantelle Clarke/Katie Nenninger):

  • Help to set up some type of operator training. Committee to coordinate with PWO.

I. Membership (Joni Tanimoto):

  • Audrey H. to coordinate with Committee regarding the new membership package.

J. Pretreatment (Doreann Kaehuaea/Jack Tano): No report

K. Public Education (Lori “Kaj” Morikami/Audrey Haerle):

  • Mauka to Makai Expo April 22, 2017 at Waikiki Aquarium. Will provide information and refreshments to kids. Highlight will be fish release into the ocean. Possibly use leftover items from PWC for giveaways. Volunteers needed to cover shifts at the booth, 2-3 people needed for each shift. Audrey H. to send out request for volunteers.
  • AAUW Tech Savvy Workshop on April 22, 2016. Audrey H. to present at event regarding a mock stream assessment. 
  • March for Science April 22, 2016 starting at UH. HWEA will not participate in the event due to the event being perceived as a political event.

L. Research (Roger Babcock/Chad Morrow): No report

M. Safety (Scott McAdam/Carly Kaneko): No report

N. Student Affairs (Jayson Tasaka/Keith Miyashiro):

  • Scholarships given out at 2017 PWC. 
  • Committee needs to coordinate judging the Hawaii Science Fair. 
  • Audrey H. to request a brief write-up regarding 2017 PWC and who won the scholarships.

O. Stormwater (Jay Stone/Brad Takenaka):

  • Planning to host a training in June. Committee needs to request a budget from the board.

P. Water Reuse (Martin Roush/Lorna Heller): No report

Q. Young Professionals (Jessica Agsalda/Mark Ohigashi):

  • Alicia Nakano to be upcoming chair for YP. 
  • May 6, 2017, installing bioretention swale at Kalihi Valley Park, in partnership with CCH and The Mission Continues (veteran’s group). Looking for donations for materials. 

Board of Directors Reports

Secretary/Treasurer's Report: Puna Kaneakua  
 Puna K. leaving for WEFMAX on Saturday.  
Signatory authority updated for BOH account.  
 Account Balances as of 02/28/17  
   
ML Conference Checking $338,313.69
Bank of Hawaii $5,683.62
Petty Cash $50.00
CD Investments $100,000.00
TOTAL: 444,047.31
   
Total Income $379,309.06
Total Expenses $414,757.69
Rolling Balance ($35,448.63)

·President Report: Audrey Haerle

  • Budget to be updated and dispersed. Membership should review and comment by next meeting.
  • Audrey H. to assign committee oversight to the Board.
  • Insurance provider to remain as is.
  • Long-Term Planning meeting anticipated for April/May possibly evening or weekend event. Look into the option to add Officer insurance.
  • MA Resource Sharing Workshop held in Alexandria in February. Audrey H. attended and will share in the long-term planning meeting. Various topics were discussed such as IT, membership goals, social media, etc. Discussions were held regarding different MA’s with and without staff support.

·Vice-President Report: Roger Babcock

  • Quarterly Luncheons will be held in May, August, November and January. Roger B. to finalize the date for the May luncheon.
  • Nominees for WEF will be in August.
  • Roger B. to assist Audrey H. with budget.
  • Roger B. presented a graph of the HWEA accounts. Merrill Lynch account has grown substantially and board needs to discuss how we spend some of these funds.

·Federation Matters: Delegate, Sheryl Nojima

  • Created a strategic planning template in the House of Delegates workgroup. Will be used to assist various MAs in developing their own strategic plan.

·Delegate at Large:  Lance Manabe

  • Developing clarity on membership levels.
  • Nominations committee: First meeting next month to discuss nominations for various WEF board positions.
  • All WEFMAX attendees should write a summary for distribution among board.

·PWO Matters: Jon Baker represented by Herman Ellis

  • Going to Chicago for competition this year.
  • Need to establish a travel budget early to allow for necessary approvals for City travel.
  • Need to discuss including a fifth member for backup.
  • Audrey H. and Staci T. to develop travel guidelines for PWO travel for Jon B.

·Past President: Staci Taniguchi

  • No report

Old Business

  • Internet inquiries will be addressed by Audrey H.

New/Miscellaneous Business

  • June N. looking at conducting water leadership training with the goal to train the next generation of water leaders, primarily in the government sector. Would need to discuss how to fund the training.

Upcoming Webcasts

March 27: Enabling the Water Resources Utility of the Future Webinar Series: Organizational Culture as the Backbone
1:00 PM to 2:30 PM Eastern Standard Time

April 5: Green Infrastructure Maintenance – Case Studies in Program Development and Implementation

1:00 PM to 3:00 PM Eastern Standard Time

April 12: Bridging the Human Resource/Operations Gap 1:00 PM to 3:00 PM Eastern Standard Time

April 19: Optimize Your PACP Deliverables 1:00 PM to 3:00 PM Eastern Standard Time

April 20: Investing in Combined Heat & Power at Wastewater Treatment Facilities 1:00 PM to 2:00 PM Eastern Standard Time

April 26: Effective Marketing and Communication Strategies for High Quality Biosolids: Lessons learned in WE&RF Research (and supported by Real World data!)

1:00 PM to 3:00 PM Eastern Standard Time

Next Meeting:

April 17th 11:30am

Meeting adjourned at 1:41 PM.

 

PUNA

 

VISIT OUR PHOTO
GALLERY


SHOW ME

Contact Info

Hawai‘i Water Environment Association
PO Box 2422
Honolulu, Hawai‘i 96804
General Inquiries: info@hwea.org