HWEA EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE MEETING
Monday, March 21, 2016 11:30 AM – 1:30 PM
Sand Island Treatment Plant – Conference Room
|Board of Directors|
|Emily Dong||Past President|
|Jon Baker||PWO Representative|
|Committee – Representatives|
|Scott McAdam||Conference Co-Chair 2016 Safety Co-Chair|
|Audrey Haerle||Public Education Co-Chair Rebrand Co-Chair|
|Jessica Agsalda||Young Professional Co-Chair Puna|
|Kaneakua (on phone)||Conference Co-Chair 2016/2017|
|PRESIDING: Staci Taniguchi|
|RECORDER: Roger Babcock|
Call to Order
- The meeting was called to order at 11:43 am by S Taniguchi.
Approval of January and February Meeting Minutes
- The minutes of the January 28, 2016 meeting were approved.
- The minutes of the February 4, 2016 meeting were approved.
A.Board Advisory/Constitution & Bylaws (Lee Mansfield/Kristie Ching/June Nakamura): no report
B.Board of Certification of Operating Personnel in Wastewater Treatment Facilities
- There is a vacancy due to Kevin Nakamura vacating the position. Eassie Miller and Wayne Salas were nominated. The board voted unanimously to appoint Eassie Miller (Babcock recused himself since he is a current member on BOC).
C.Biosolids/Co-Generation Committee (Greg Arakaki/Wayne White): no report
D.Collection Systems (Jon Nishimura/Tina Ono): no report
E.Communications (Mark Goodrowe/Leland Lee): no report
F.Conference Committee 2016 (Scott McAdam/Puna Kaneakua):
- Estimated net income is $100K for 2016. This will be split with AWWA.
- Puna Kaneakua will be chair for 2017, no co-chair so far. The AWWA chair is Susan Mukai. Staci will recruit a co-chair for HWEA.
- 2017 conference will be Feb 14-16 at the Hawaii Convention Center. Will use Exhibit Hall 1 instead of 2 in 2017.
G.Government Affairs (Tim Steinberger/Walter Billingsley): no report
- Laboratory (No chairs):
- Staci will look to fill vacancies of two co-chairs
- Membership (Joni Tanimoto): no report
- Pretreatment (Doreann Kaehuaea): no report
H.Public Education (Lori Morikami/Audrey Haerle):
- Pearl Harbor Bike Path cleanup event, April 2, 8am-11am. Children 12 and older and adults can participate.
- Mauka to Makai Expo at Waikiki Aquarium, April 23, 9am – 2pm, will have two shifts.
- Audrey attended a Project WET educator training on March 19.
I.Research (Roger Babcock):
- Will to talk to Chad Morrow who may be interested to chair
J.Safety (Scott McAdam/Carly Kaneko):
- No injuries reported.
- Looking into putting on a safety seminar
K.Student Affairs (Mindy Yoneshige/Keith Miyashiro):
- On April 16 or 17 Mindy will email SJWP abstracts for the Board to choose who will represent HWEA.
L.Water Reuse (Martin Roush/Elson Gushiken):
- Conference is on Kauai in Nov 2016
M.Water Quality (Jay Stone/Brad Takenaka):
- Considering another half-day workshop.
N.Young Professionals (Susan Mukai/Jessica Agsalda):
- Jessica attended the YP convention in San Diego.
- Want to start a Facebook page. Audrey will send guidance.
- Thursday 3/24/16 – social at Side Street Inn, 5pm
Board of Directors Reports
|Secretary/Treasurer's Report: Roger Babcock|
|Account Balances as of 3/20/2016|
|ML Conference Checking||$352,289.59|
|Bank of Hawaii||$4,026.08|
- New reimbursement form has been created by Audrey. It will be sent out to all committee chairs. Beginning immediately, reimbursement forms must be submitted by the applicable committee chair.
- Audrey got new PO Box keys – one for Audrey, Roger, Staci. Others can access by going to the window and showing ID.
- Taryn will transition Susan Lambert of AECOM into HWEA as bookkeeper in March.
- Board members completed new bank signature card: Staci, Audrey, Roger, Emily.
- Babcock to talk to Taryn/Susan to get on-line view-only access to Quickbooks
- Babcock will attend WEFMAX in Philadelphia on April 6-7-8.
·President Report: Staci Taniguchi
- 2016-2017 Budget – blank budget worksheet was passed out. Board members were asked to fill in their applicable sections for the April board meeting.
- Nominations are open for a Public Education award from WEF. Audrey will do a write-up and forward to the Executive Board.
·Vice-President Report: Audrey Haerle
- Some members are considering forming a local section for outer island members – there are some guidelines from WEF to consider
- June 2 or 9 will be the joint dinner meeting with AWWA and ASCE. Looking at some venues: Pagoda and Spaghetti Factory
- Attended two Webinars on Financial policies – asked about getting a credit card, there were cautions. Suggested an annual audit of the association finances.
- Infrastructure Week is in June – HWEA should do something.
·Federation Matters: Delegate, Lance Manabe
- Nominated to be on the WEF Executive Committee as a Delegate-at-Large. Lance is considering – has not committed yet. Budget implications are an estimated additional travel budget of $5,000 per year for the 3 year term of office.
- Suggested to assign 3 or more committees to each Board member, for which they would serve as a liaison to maintain contact, assist with activities, etc.
·PWO Matters: Jon Baker and Wayne Salas
- Setting up quarterly excursions for PWO such as Honouliuli WWTP and HPOWER
- Training on MBRs at Wahiawa in the near future
- Some new equipment is coming for ops challenge
·Past President: Emily Dong
- Will continue the operator training study sessions.
- April 18th (each third Monday of the month)
Meeting adjourned at 1:30 PM.