Sample Sidebar Module

This is a sample module published to the sidebar_top position, using the -sidebar module class suffix. There is also a sidebar_bottom position below the menu.

Sample Sidebar Module

This is a sample module published to the sidebar_bottom position, using the -sidebar module class suffix. There is also a sidebar_top position below the search.
Meeting Minutes 2016


Monday, May 16, 2016 11:30 AM – 1:00 PM
Sand Island Treatment Plant – Conference Room

Board of Directors  
Staci Taniguchi President
Audrey Haerle Vice-President
Roger Babcock Secretary-Treasurer
Emily Dong Past President
Jon Baker  PWO Representative
Committee – Representatives  
Scott McAdam Conference Co-Chair 2016
  Safety Co-Chair
Audrey Haerle Public Education Co-Chair
Martin Roush (on phone) Water Reuse Co-Chair
Puna Kaneakua Conference Co-Chair 2017
Lori Morikami Public Education Co-Chair
Melissa Carmichael Biosolids/Co-Generation Co-Chair
Jay Stone Stormwater Co-Chair
Tim Steinberger Government Relations Co-Chair



PRESIDING: Staci Taniguchi
RECORDER: Roger Babcock



Call to Order

  • The meeting was called to order at 11:39 am by S Taniguchi.

Approval of April Meeting Minutes

  • The minutes of the April 18, 2016 meeting were approved.

Committee Reports

A. Board Advisory/Constitution & Bylaws (Lee Mansfield/Kristie Ching/June Nakamura): no report

B. Board of Certification of Operating Personnel in Wastewater Treatment Facilities

  • Eassie Miller was appointed in March. Miller needs to fill out the application on-line and then he can get an interim appointment until he can be confirmed by the State Senate in 2017. He can serve as HWEA representative right away.

C. Biosolids/Co-Generation Committee (Greg Arakaki/Melissa Carmichael)

  • Two tours are being planned for this year, Synagro facility at Sand Island WWTP and the Navy composting facility in west Oahu.

D. Collection Systems (Jon Nishimura/Tina Ono): no report 

 E. Communications (Mark Goodrowe/Leland Lee): no report

F. Conference Committee 2016 (Scott McAdam/Puna Kaneakua):

  • Getting ready to close the books on the 2016 conference right away
  • Net income about $150K overall and 30% will go to AWWA
  • 2017 conference will be Feb 14-16 at the Hawaii Convention Center
  • Golf tournament and banquet will be at Ala Wai GC. A letter of request and additional insured certificate are required by the GC. Staci will write the letter to be signed by her and the conference chair. Staci will get the insurance certificate.

G. Government Affairs (Tim Steinberger/Walter Billingsley):

  • The committee has been following HB 2030 which passed and is on the Governor’s desk for signature. The bill would be bad for the counties and all other WWTPs that discharge to state waters. Their NPDES permits could be revoked unless they use sewage to generate clean energy. A letter was written by the committee to be signed by Tim and Staci urging Governor Ige not to sign the bill. Moved by Roger Babcock to approve the letter to Governor Ige. Seconded by Emily Dong. Motion passed unanimously.
  • HWEA may need to help the city on the issue of the halfway house located on the Sand Island WWTP property designated for secondary expansion. The City Council is currently withholding more than $40 million for design work until the issue is resolved.

H. Laboratory (No chairs): no report

I. Membership (Joni Tanimoto):

  • Audrey will ask if we need to order more pins
  • Only Joni can access WEF membership database now – she will ask WEF if other board members can share the password or get their own.
  • Joni confirmed that welcome letters with information packets are sent out to new homeowners on a quarterly basis

J. Pretreatment (Doreann Kaehuaea/Jack Tano): no report

K. Public Education (Lori Morikami/Audrey Haerle):

  • Written report is attached
  • Audrey purchased a WWTP scale model from NASCO that demonstrates 3 levels of treatment for use at various outreach events. It has not yet arrived.
  • They maintain a public mailing list with about 140 names.
  • There will be a tour of SI WWTP on Saturday May 21st.

L. Research (Roger Babcock/Chad Morrow):

  • Chad Morrow is the new co-Chair, they are discussing ideas

M. Safety (Scott McAdam/Carly Kaneko): no report

N. Student Affairs (Mindy Yoneshige/Keith Miyashiro):

  • SJWP winner and teacher or parent go to DC as arranged by WEF. HWEA is billed by WEF for the airfare, hotel and ground transportation.

 O. Stormwater (Jay Stone/Brad Takenaka/Spencer Yim):

  • Moved by Roger Babcock to change the name of the Water Quality Committee to the Stormwater Committee. Seconded by Audrey Haerle. Motion passed unanimously.
  • The Environmental Council (EC) still wants HWEA co-sponsor (with EC) a forum on water quality issues and to invite DOH, DLNR, and HTA. HWEA will hire a neutral facilitator for the forum.
  • It is suggested to hand out HWEA sewage spill prevention brochures at the World Conservation Congress in Honolulu.
  • The committee will start holding monthly meetings to plan the 2017 stormwater workshop. A possible date is sometime in May.
  • Want to consider a stormwater track at the annual conference. Also want to consider a pre-conference workshop consisting of a stormwater operator certification prep course – will need to pay a certified trainer

P. Water Reuse (Martin Roush/Lorna Heller): Dates are December 1-2, 2016 in Kauai. Will send a deposit check to the hotel for $1,000. The committee has started meeting to plan the event.

Q. Young Professionals (Jessica Agsalda/Mark Ohigashi):

  • Tour Mari’s Garden Aquaponics (Mililani) – Sat May 21st Board of Directors Reports

Board of Directors Reports

Secretary/Treasurer's Report: Roger Babcock
Account Balances as of 4/16/2016


ML Conference Checking  $388,381.33
Bank of Hawaii  $1,597.13
Petty Cash  $  50.00
CD Investments  $100,000.00
TOTAL: 490,028.46
Total Income $48,802.87
Total Expenses $13,270.35
Rolling Balance $35,532.52


  • Taryn will transition Susan Lambert of AECOM into HWEA as bookkeeper – no update at this this.
  • President Report: Staci Taniguchi
  • Maui Committee – a new standing committee will be formed. Staci will request a proposal from them of what they want to do and for a budget. A suggested model is the YP group.


  • Vice-President Report: Audrey Haerl
  • The joint dinner meeting with AWWA and ASCE will be on June 2 at Dave & Busters. ASCE will collect the funds and the RSVPs. Audrey will check to see how we can help.
  • Federation Matters: Delegate, Lance Manabe: no report
  • PWO Matters: Jon Baker
  • The ops team is practicing for WEFTEC
  • Past President: Emily Dong
  • No report

 Old Business

  • None

 New/Miscellaneous Business

  • None

 Next Meeting:

  • June 20th 11:30am


Meeting adjourned at 1:00 PM





Contact Info

Hawai‘i Water Environment Association
PO Box 2422
Honolulu, Hawai‘i 96804
General Inquiries: