HWEA EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE MEETING
Monday, July 18, 2016 11:30 AM – 1:00 PM
Sand Island Treatment Plant – Conference Room
|Board of Directors|
|Roger Babcock (on phone)||Secretary-Treasurer|
|Emily Dong||Past President|
|Jon Baker||PWO Representative|
|Lance Manabe||National Delegate|
|Committee – Representatives|
|Scott McAdam||Conference Co-Chair 2016 Safety Co-Chair|
|Audrey Haerle||Public Education Co-Chair|
|Martin Roush (on phone)||Water Reuse Co-Chair|
|Lori Morikami||Public Education Co-Chair|
|Jay Stone (on phone)||Stormwater Co-Chair|
|Tim Steinberger||Government Relations Co-Chair|
|Brad Takenaka||Stormwater Co-Chair|
|Roger Babcock (on phone)||Research Co-Chair|
|Jack Tano||Pretreatment Co-Chair|
Call to Order
- The meeting was called to order at 11:45 am by S Taniguchi.
Approval of June Meeting Minutes
- The minutes of the June 20, 2016 meeting were approved.
1.Board Advisory/Constitution & Bylaws (Lee Mansfield/Kristie Ching/June Nakamura): no report
2.Board of Certification of Operating Personnel in Wastewater Treatment Facilities No report
3.Biosolids/Co-Generation Committee (Greg Arakaki/Melissa Carmichael)
4.Collection Systems (Jon Nishimura/Tina Ono): no report
5. Communications (Mark Goodrowe/Leland Lee): Kapiolani Street will join the committee to help with the webpage and email communications. Mark Goodrowe paid the domain name renewal for 9 years for $129.
6. Conference Committee 2016 (Scott McAdam/Puna Kaneakua):
- Emily Dong will be the co-Chair
- MOU with AWWA has not been drafted/signed yet
- Working on the budget and the deposit for golf course.
- Deposit/reservation is in for the Convention Center.
- Scott McAdam will be Exhibits co-Chair
- Julie Hero will be Golf Tourney co-Chair
- Community Service project chair is Audrey Haerle (with help from Alicia Nakano)
- Working on the theme now and the call for papers will be in early August
7. Government Affairs (Tim Steinberger/Walter Billingsley):
- Governor Ige did not veto SB 2030; thus it will become law. HWEA will want to get involved in the rule making process for this law.
8. Laboratory (No chairs): no report
9. Membership (Joni Tanimoto):
- No report
10. Pretreatment (Doreann Kaehuaea/Jack Tano):
- No report
11. Public Education (Lori Morikami/Audrey Haerle):
- Won an award from WEF
12. Research (Roger Babcock/Chad Morrow): no report
13. Safety (Scott McAdam/Carly Kaneko):
- No report
14. Student Affairs (Mindy Yoneshige/Keith Miyashiro): no report
15. Stormwater (Jay Stone/Brad Takenaka):
- The committee is still researching whether to become part of the Pacific Water Conference (PWC) next year (separate track and a pre-conference workshop). This would allow training and certification efforts.
- Planning for workshop for next year. Envirocert International is planning to offer the training courses online soon, so they may not need to be at PWC.
16. Water Reuse (Martin Roush/Lorna Heller): Dates are December 1-2, 2016 in Kauai. The deposit check for the hotel for $1,000 was submitted and a signed contract. The theme is: Hawaii’s solutions to expanding reuse and recycling, making it work. Now working on possible speakers. The committee is aiming for 120 participants.
17. Young Professionals (Jessica Agsalda/Mark Ohigashi):
- Next meeting is July 27 at 5pm at The Social
- Aug 12, 1:30pm, is a tour of Tileco which sells CMU blocks and erosion control mats (joint YP and the YMF-ASCE)
- Service Aug 20, 8:30am, Mokauea Island, invasive species clearing
Board of Directors Reports
|Secretary/Treasurer's Report: Roger Babcock|
|Account Balances as of 6/30/2016|
|ML Conference Checking||$328,894.48|
|Bank of Hawaii||$11,367.46|
- Roger will work with Taryn to create a new category for “payment to AWWA for conference”
- Roger will ask Taryn if she wants to continue as HWEA bookeeper
·President Report: Staci Taniguchi
- AWWA conference MOU needed – working with Mike Street of AWWA
·Vice-President Report: Audrey Haerle
- Next Quarterly luncheon – target date is early September at Hale Ikena possibly a joint meeting with CMAA
- Federation Matters: Delegate, Lance Manabe: Training for new delegate Sheryl Nojima will be in October at WEFTEC 2016. Lance’s term doesn’t end until WEFTEC 2017 but if he is selected as At-Large Delegate at WEFTEC 2016, then Sheryl will start in 2016
·PWO Matters: Jon Baker
- The ops team is practicing for WEFTEC, registering for conference and travel
- Putting out a call for teams for HWEA conference in February
·Past President: Emily Dong
- Had 7 attendees this past Saturday at the WEF 3-4 hr webinar/workshop; will have one again this week and then one more in August. They are worth about 0.2 CEUs each.
- WEF data breech email. The Communications Committee will send an email blast and also post the letter on the website.
- August 15th 11:30am
Meeting adjourned at 12:50 PM