HWEA EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE MEETING
Tuesday, January 17, 2017 11:30 AM – 1:00 PM
Sand Island Treatment Plant – Conference Room
|Board of Directors|
|Roger Babcock (on phone)||Secretary-Treasurer|
|Jon Baker||PWO Representative|
|Sheryl Nojima (on phone)||National Delegate|
|Committee – Representatives|
|Lance Manabe||At-Large National Delegate|
|Audrey Haerle||Public Education Co-Chair|
|Lori Morikami||Public Education Co-Chair|
|Roger Babcock (on phone)||Research Co-Chair|
|Greg Arakaki||Biosolids Co-Chair|
|Melissa Carmichael||Biosolids Co-Chair|
|Brad Takenaka||Storm Water Co-Chair|
|Phil Potter||Government Affairs|
|Jayson Tasaka||Student Affairs|
|Jessica Agsalda||Young Professionals|
|Unable to Attend|
|Emily Dong||Past President and Conference Co-Chair 2017|
|PRESIDING: Staci Taniguchi|
|RECORDER: Roger Babcock|
Call to Order
- The meeting was called to order at 11:46 am by S Taniguchi.
Approval of November Meeting Minutes
- The minutes of the December 19, 2016 meeting were approved as amended.
A. Board Advisory/Constitution & Bylaws (June Nakamura/Peter Ono/Roy Abe): The committee is going to work on updates
B. Board of Certification (Eassie Miller): No report
C. Biosolids/Co-Generation Committee (Greg Arakaki/Melissa Carmichael)
- Joint workshop with Stormwater on May 26 – Manoa Grand Ballroom, 8 speaking slots for each track, target 100 attendees. There will not be a session on safety. A few more speakers are needed
D. Collection Systems (Jon Nishimura/Tina Ono): They are booking the Ala Moana Hotel now, the call for papers will come out in February
E. Communications (Mark Goodrowe/Leland Lee/Kapiolani Street):
- No report
F. Conference Committee 2017 (Feb 14-16, Puna Kaneakua/Emily Dong):
- Registration is up to 500
- Exhibitor registration is at 102
- More players are needed for the golf tournament
- Staci will send out a form for committee chairs to report at the breakfast meeting
G. Government Affairs (Tim Steinberger/Walter Billingsley/Phil Potter): Sending out an introductory letter from the committee to legislators on appropriate committees this week. Will have a Google Drive doc with bill tracking set up.
H. Laboratory (Katie Nenninger/Shantelle Clarke): Will help the ops challenge operators practice the lab events.
I. Membership (Joni Tanimoto): HWEA will participate in the WEF Membership Initiative
J. Pretreatment (Doreann Kaehuaea/Jack Tano): No report
K. Public Education (Lori Morikami/Audrey Haerle):
- Feb 18th service project on Mokauea Island is limited to 50 people, shirts are being ordered
L. Research (Roger Babcock/Chad Morrow): No report
M. Safety (Scott McAdam/Carly Kaneko): No report
N. Student Affairs (Jayson Tasaka/Keith Miyashiro): Three scholarship applications were received. There will be10 student posters at the conference.
O. Stormwater (Jay Stone/Brad Takenaka):
- May joint workshop - May 26th, 6 or 7 speakers are committed already. Only a few left to fill. It is progressing well.
P. Water Reuse (Martin Roush/Lorna Heller):
- Expenses - $24,117
- Income - $23,385
- Suggest to charge for Friday lunch, to offer a discount rate for speakers rather than free, don’t cover all the travel expenses of the keynote speaker
Q. Young Professionals (Jessica Agsalda/Mark Ohigashi):
- Preconference program is set to go, 15 attendees so far, will have a social after • Thursday Jan 26 = Waikiki Aquarium, Behind the Scenes tour at 3pm
Board of Directors Reports
|Secretary/Treasurer's Report: Roger Babcock|
|Account Balances as of 12/31/2016|
|ML Conference Checking||$505,694.48|
|Bank of Hawaii||$8,699.62|
- Conference account will add Emily, Puna, and Sheryl. Take off all others (Shannon Hollman and Scott McAdam)
·President Report: Staci Taniguchi
- HWEA Scholarship: Synagro is offering to donate $4,000 toward this and/or for operator training
- Officers will be nominated and elected at the quarterly luncheon on Jan 19, they will be installed at the conference
- WEFMAX trip in place of WEFTEC cost for Secretray/Treasurer because his work pays for WEFTEC travel. Moved by Jon Baker to allow the WEFTEC travel funds for the V-P to be used to attend a WEFMAX instead. Seconded by Audrey. Motion passed unanimously.
·Vice-President Report: Audrey Haerle
- Quarterly Luncheon on Thursday January 19th at Dave & Buster’s, 32 registered already.
·Federation Matters: Delegate, Sheryl Nojima
- Joint officer and national visiting officers’ dinner meeting will be at Side Street Inn on February 14th. There will be a sign-up and will take the first 35 from HWEA; the cost will be about $38/person.
- The House of Delegates Strategic Planning Working Group will create a template for MA’s to help them with updates
·PWO Matters: Jon Baker
- Helping to set-up the lab for ops challenge team to practice
- So far one team signed up for ops challenge and 2 teams for skills challenge at PWC
·Past President: Emily Dong
- No report
- TBD – after Pacific Water Conference
Meeting adjourned at 12:41 PM.